In the Workshop
Playing with Hard Materials
Designing and constructing a grid (size and dimensions of each constituent cell will be informed by site research). This grid will consist of a series of surface impressions and/or perforations of a solid material of fixed dimension (pre-cut 150x165mm).
Aims of workshop exercise
• To gain a preliminary understanding of how a material performs: its fitness for purpose, it physical properties (e.g. woodgrain, gauge of material, behavior of a material when placed under pressure).
• To understand how the selection and manipulation of physical materials can enhance the conceptual, formal and technical underpinnings of a design project.
• To enter into a conversation/dialogue with materials to get to know them better: to understand what they are good at and good for and how they can be
manipulated to generate evocative spatial experiences.
• To understand and document how light passes through solid, translucent and transparent materials to affect interior spaces.
• To gain an appreciation of the time required to create thoughtfully crafted spatial artefacts.